September - HR Legal Roundup - Legislative Update
mingle with colleagues and learn what’s new in labor and employment law.
Highlights include what to consider with recruitment processing, hiring, leaves
and more. Many changes have occurred and key decisions are pending. Discussion
will include important labor areas that could affect budgets, specifically,
possible new guidelines for exempt status.
presentation will cover new Oregon laws from the 2015 Oregon legislative
sessions (including the sick leave mandate, the prohibition against obtaining
criminal conviction information during the hiring process, and group health
care coverage during an OFLA leave), employment-related US Supreme Court
decisions from the 2014-2015 session (such as the duty to accommodate religious
beliefs, the duty to accommodate pregnant workers, and whether security
screenings constitute paid work time), new US DOL regulations concerning exempt
workers and independent contractor status, and new NLRB decisions affecting employers
(such as the use of email for organizing purposes).
Speaker - Kurt Barker, Attorney
Kurt Barker is a partner at Karnopp Petersen LLP, the preeminent
Central Oregon law firm. As the current
Chair of the firm’s Employment Law department, Kurt’s practice emphasizes the
counsel and defense of clients in most all employment-related matters,
including discrimination, harassment, wage and hour, tort, non-compete
enforcement, and trade secret obligations.
When: Wednesday, September 16, 2015
7:30 a.m. Networking 8:00 am to 11:00 am Presentation
Where: Shilo Inn, 3105 O. B. Riley
Road, Bend, OR (541) 389-9600
Registration: Please complete the RSVP Form
Cost: $30 for HRACO members and $45 for
with name(s) of participant to
HRACO (September Program), PO Box 1473, Bend, OR 97709
Events & News
- SHRM is offering 3 scholarships in Oregon for SHRM Certification Participant study materials! Deadline is Sept 1. APPLY HERE!
- 2015 Central Oregon Legal Update - Presented by Barran Liebman. August 25, 2015 2:00 - 5:00. Details Here
- Supercharge Your Hiring Practices! September 24, 2015. Registration Flyer. Approved for 4 credit hours for SHRM-CP and HRCI credits pending.
- "New System, New Updates" - HRCI has made some significant changes for re-certification. Make yourself aware! Visit here for the recorded webinar hosted by HRCI.
- Registration for the 2015 NHRMA Conference is OPEN! Pre-approved for 19.5 SHRM PDC's and 19.5 HRCI Recertifcation Credits. October 5 -7 in Portland. Details here
The HRACO Mentoring Program
Although human resource professionals have informally been mentors to others in the field for decades, formal SHRM mentoring programs across the country have had great success. We believe our members in Central Oregon can also benefit from such a program.
The Mentoring Program is still accepting applications for HR Professionals who would like to be mentored.
Find out more information by visiting the Programs page.